How to Become a Stephen Minister
Express your compassion in a direct way — consider becoming a Stephen Minister.
Stephen Ministry is a churchwide caring ministry that equips lay persons to provide distinctively Christian, one-to-one care to those who are experiencing all kinds of life needs and circumstances, both in our congregation and community. Stephen Ministers provide an extension of pastoral care because they are able to reach more people with Christian care than pastors can by themselves.
Spiritual Gifts: Encouragement, Faith, Mercy
Passions: People in Crisis
Abilities: Caring/Compassion, Listening/Facilitating, Welcoming/Encouraging
INITIAL VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
Now accepting applications for a new training class to be scheduled for fall 2017.
Stephen Ministers are committed Christian people who:
• Express God’s care through their lives to others
• Receive 50 hours of initial training in important caring ministry skills and concepts
• Are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their initial training
• Visit another person regularly and dependably, and offer Christian support and care
• Participate in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained Stephen Leaders
• Are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship;
• Serve for at least 2 years
• Receive continuing education and skill building throughout their years of service
Contact: Stephen Ministry Message Line, 650.330.7516