Jan 31, 2022
DEAR MENLO CHURCH,
“Taste, and see that the Lord is good,” says the psalmist. Some years leave a great taste, while others... What "taste" will 2021 leave with us? COVID changed the menu, globally and at Menlo Church, in a year of huge change. Despite that, here is some of what your faithful generosity affected this past year:
- The transition of pastors tasted bittersweet; in the loss of world-class communication and inspiration, we saw new, gifted pastors stepping up, voicing God’s great faithfulness for Menlo, in the future and right NOW.
- After 17+ months of absence, greeting friends and visitors in-person made worship taste fresh and precious. The sight and sound of children and teens on campus felt like a return to life in all its fullness, even wearing masks!
- A 38-year season of ministry to seniors ended when Frank Vanderzwan "left the building," as his successors bring fresh, caring energy. Nothing tastes like faithful care.
- The irrepressible generosity of this community fed a broken world in hard times, even as serving the meals, hands-on ministry, had to change with social distancing.
- A Spiritual Formation Retreat and hundreds who signed up for Adult Discipleship Labs demonstrated a hunger to find and follow Jesus in hard times, as well as good ones.
What would you add to the list? Most of us are eager for a different kind of year in 2022, even as we saw God’s faithfulness through the struggle and loss. I have new appreciation for church, the gathering of saints and sinners who experience the grace and love of Jesus when together.
Gary Haugen’s sermon still rings in my ears: “The people of God are most who they are meant to be when the world is least as it was meant to be.” I want Menlo’s 2022 legacy to include that blessing, so I exhort you, whether it’s ludicrously generosity or life-stretching service, join us in the great game our Lord wants us to play! To do so, I invite you to include Menlo Church in your year-end gift.
CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS WITH US!
This holiday season, we are filled with joy to come together as a church family! We'll sing carols, enjoy hot cocoa, and hear an inspiring message on how we can experience peace this Christmas. Everybody's welcome! DETAILS + TIMES
INVITE A FRIEND TO CHRISTMAS
As you make Christmas plans, be sure to invite your community to join you for one of our services. This is a perfect opportunity to reach out to a friend or neighbor and share a special evening together. Pick up an invite or two to make the ask easy. Check out these TIPS for how to invite!
LISTEN TO MEDITATIONS FOR ADVENT
Welcome to Season 2 of Menlo Meditations! Every weekday until Christmas, you will hear three to four minute meditations to anchor your day in Jesus’s presence. Find it ONLINE or it's available wherever you get podcasts.
BRING JOY DURING OUR CHRISTMAS SERVICES
Join a volunteer team to welcome people to Christmas services at Menlo Church. Create a friendly environment and experience community during this special time of year! SIGN UP